Tuesday 18 February 2014

Another lost shop on Wilbraham Road

The Barbecue on Wilbraham Road passed quietly out of Chorlton, mourned by many.

I remember the hand written sign going up in the window announcing that after years of trading the business was closing.

Long ago I stopped eating meat but can still remember when I did and this was one of the shops I went to.

And Andy Robertson was determined to record the shop before its transformation.

So here are two of his pictures taken in the August of 2013.  For those a little curious Andy is there in the main picture caught in a reflection.

Now he has been kind enough to share photographs of the bits of Chorlton we all took for granted but which are now gone.

My favourite so far was the offi on St Ann’s Road which was seen by 434 people in just a day.

So I have asked him to continue to snap away  because these vanished places are just as important to record as any posh house or historic pile.

And perhaps there will be others who want to add one of their buildings to the collection.

Only a few days ago Jonathan told me  that the old garage on Stockton Road was up for sale.  Now I do have some pictures but they date back a few years and so unless I can get down there soon I would welcome a contribution

Pictures; The Barbecue, 486 Wilbraham Road, August 2013, courtesy of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment