Thursday 18 December 2014

Walking through Stalybridge with memories of 40 years ago part 2 ........ two pubs and a canal

They say you should never go back to a place that you left a long time go especially if it is somewhere with fond memories.

Now Stalybridge is one of those places.

When we lived on Raynham Street 40 years ago Stalybridge was where we went after a walk in Stamford Park.

After all it was just a short trip and rang the changes from Ashton market and the library.

Not that I can ever remember visiting any of the pubs and so Peter’s paintings are a nice reminder of what we may have missed.

At which point I usually go off on a bit of historical research, but today I shall just let the pictures capture a bit of Stalybridge and wish I had taken a few photographs of these places 40 years ago.

Of course I am sure there will be plenty of people with memories, stories and pictures of the two pubs along with the canal and perhaps in the fullness of time they might share them on the blog.

Which just leaves me to offer up one last confession which is that as far as I can remember I never managed to visit the canal.

And that was also my loss for nothing adds to a place than the presence of water, be it a river or a waterway.



Painting; The Q Inn, The Old Fleece Inn, Huddersfield Narrow Canal Stalybridge,  © 2014 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment