A history of Didsbury in just 20 objects number 1 ........... a bus garage
The story of Didsbury in just twenty objects, chosen at random and delivered in a paragraph.
This is all that remains of our bus garage which was opened in 1926. Since the beginning of the last century Didsbury had been served by trams and in 1928 the Corporation had 953 trams running 46 routes along 292 miles of track but the decision had been taken to replace them with motor buses and trolley buses. Our garage was designed to take fifty buses and served Didsbury well for 45 years but the amalgamation of the county’s bus services and the inevitable rationalization of depots meant that it was closed in 1971.