Monday, 22 February 2016

Lost Images of our Commercial Past ...... nu 3 Somerset & Co Ltd Whitworth Street

#
Somerset & Co Ltd advertised themselves as a packing firm and traded from number 42 Whitworth Street, along with eight businesses all of all listed  as “merchants”

I passed the building countless times and think it once held the offices of the Manchester Conservative Party.

I certainly remember it always struck me as a forlorn and forbidding place which wouldn’t have lifted my heart had I worked inside.

But then Whitworth Street always reminds me of one of those canyons in a western film, all narrow valley and tall steep sides.

I know well the books which describe how impressive these buildings are but they just overpower me and even on a sunny day it’s a dismal place.

And so having been empty for what seemed decades this one came down, served as a car park and at present is a stalled building project.

But it is an exception, even in this period of retrenchment and stagnation chunks of 19th and 20th century Manchester are being torn down and in the process these examples of our commercial past are gone forever.

Location; Whitworth Street, Manchester

Picture; Whitworth Street, 2013, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment