It is easy to spot the school and the library and get a sense of how this part of the township had developed in the first decades of the 20th century.
A closer look will reveal the cinema and beside it the Temperance hall as well as the row of shops just north of the library.
But the photograph also reveals the bits that have gone.
Directly opposite the library is a row of brick cottages which date back to before the 1840s. They may even at one time have been a single dwelling but are remembered by some people as in multi occupation by the 1930s.
Also now gone are the rows of houses on either side of Manchester Road which ran out beside the cinema.
They were demolished to make way for the precinct car park and health centre. Today just two houses and a short stretch from Wilbraham Road are all that is left of Manchester Road.
Picture; Aerial view of Oswald Road School 1925, m72044, Courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council