The year is 1910 and we are just past the junction of Barlow Moor and Wilbraham Road.
This was once known as Martledge and until the 1870s was farm land with a few farmhouses, the old Royal Oak pub and block of houses known as Renshaw’s Buildings or just the New Buildings.
But during the 1880s this end of the township was developed pretty much as we know it today, with long lines of terraced and semi detached houses and parades of shops.
They had been built sometime before 1832 by John Renshaw who lived on Beech Road. He was a market gardener but diversified into property.
His block that you see was demolished to make way for the new Royal Oak and all that now survives of Renshaw’s Buildings is the kerb stone that runs at angles from Barlow Moor Road beside the pub.
Already by the beginning of the 20th century part of this old block had been turned into a cycle shop.
And just behind the wall of Renshaw’s was the entrance to the old Royal Oak which was more a beer shop than a pub and which dates from the 1830s.
Far away in the distance is the Temperance Hall and to our left parallel with the tram are a set of fine
Victorian houses which were demolished in the 1960s.
Picture; from the Lloyd Collection