A short series with few words looking at the postcards we sent from Woolwich, Greenwich and Eltham.
The description on the back describes “the Parish Church of the Royal Borough of Greenwich is a handsome structure dedicated to St Alphege, which was erected in 1710 from designs by Hawksmore.
It stands in on the site of two former bull rings dedicated to the same Saint, who suffered martyrdom on this spot at the hands of the Danes. General Wolfe is buried within its walls.”
Picture; Barrack Field Woolwich Common, circa 1905, Tuck and Sons, courtesy of Tuck DB, https://tuckdb.org/