Sunday, 19 August 2018

The history of Eltham in just 20 objects ........Nu 6 the drainhole cover ..... from Tricia

The challenge is to write a history of Eltham in just 20 objects which are in no particular order, and have been selected purely at random.

And here is Tricia's Contribution to Eltham's Hall of History

"The drainhole cover was situated until 1970 in Eltham Court Yard and was only removed when the road was widened to take the bus lay-by outside Grove Market. 

It bore the following inscription 'Invented by T.C. HAWORTH, Surveyor, Eltham 1874'. 

It appeared more like a safe door than a drainhole cover and needed several men to remove it.

It was presented to The Eltham Society by the Greenwich Borough Council but the question is where is it now?"

Contributor; Tricia Lesley

Pricture; Court Yard, 1970, Mr. F Shepherd (beared) then Chairman of the Eltham Society recieves the Haworth drainhole cover from Greenwich Council officials, Photo; Kentish Independent supplied by Tricia Lesley

No comments:

Post a Comment