Now I have been waiting for The Dawn of Didsbury Jewry 1861-1926 to arrive in the bookshop.
I was alerted to Julia Maine’s contribution to the history of Didsbury last week and having bought a copy this morning I pretty much devoured the book in one sitting because it’s a fascinating account of the Jewish community here in Didsbury.And while the author writes that “it is written for a broad readership” the scholarship is there in its content, glossary and extensive references, covering many aspects of Jewish life, the Jewish contribution to the community and a host of local Jewish men and women, culminating with the impact of the Great War.
Throughout Ms Main draws on the memories of residents as well as written records and the generosity of those who donated images and additional material.
So, having read it in an afternoon it will now sit on the bookshelf and become an invaluable reference to dip into.
The Dawn of Didsbury Jewry 1861-1926, Julia Main, 2026, £9.65 is available from most bookshops, including Chorlton Book Shop and online at Amazon and other retailers.

No comments:
Post a Comment