The story of what we eat and what we are sold to eat over the last 126 years has seen regular fads and fashions dominated by diets, “healthy living” options along with the not so healthy, and increasingly dominated by processed foods, global trade and the power of advertising.
| Instant food, The Golden Egg, 1966 |
And at 76 I guess like many of my generation I have seen the lot. From the end of war time rationing and seasonal food, to the abundance and variety on offer, which brings with it a reliance on the quick ready meal and the quest for the new and different.
No more the excitement of the first strawberries or new potatoes of the year, nor the easy and familiar foods of my childhood and that of my parents.
And in the process, we seem ever more distanced from the field and the fun of taking raw ingredients and turning them into something we enjoy and above all knowing exactly what went into the meal.
![]() |
| Green beans slowly cooking in tomato sauce, 2026 |
At which point it is important to introduce the caveat that this is against the backdrop that we live in a part of the developed world, where famine and food shortages are not at present a reality.
But some processed foods do creep into my kitchen whether it be cheese or ready-made pastry. The first in all its rich diversity is something I would miss, while I confess shop bought pastry does make life easier. But there I think I draw the line.
Yesterday I wrote about “Keep it simple, keep it fresh and use whatever is available”. **
And today I want to develop that theme and in particular the starting point of what is available.
![]() |
| Spicey vegetables, cracked wheat and mint, 2026 |
Now back in the 1980s I was just beginning to be serious about cooking and on the night before the next meal I would pour over a heap of cookbooks make a choice and carefully record the ingredients dismissing Keith Floyd’s advice.
But the following day I would find that some of those vital parts were not available and others were decidedly sad looking.
By contrast the Floyd approach not only meant you came away with the best that was fresh, but it offered up the challenge of what can I do with a pile of white beans, the freshest of the fresh green beans and the newly arrived on offer Greek halloumi?
And while all the books can offer up well tested ideas there remains no substitute for a big chunk of experimentation guided by that simple of all advice, what if I mix this with that?
![]() |
| Gigantes, with feata cheese, 2026 |
The Greeks do gigantes which is just white beans cooked slowly in a rich tomato sauce to which I add a bit of paprika dribble with olive oil and eat warm or cold.
And along the same lines using those freshest of fresh green beans I add a heap of slowly cooking tomatoes with plenty of healthy-looking basil leaves.
![]() |
| Fried halloumi, and salad, 2026 |
And then there is the humble potato which I have been known to cook adding some avocado to create a plate of green mash which will go nicely with salad and spicy roasted cauliflower.
None of them take long to prepare and make. In the process you know what has got into them and if you do want to add salt, sugar or anything else it’s down to you to judge the quantity.
But I draw the line at tofu and polenta, both of which I have cooked, cooked again and cooked again and despite variations in the method and what I add to the stuff I remain unconvinced.
What all of these meals from gigantes, avocada mash, and green beans have in common is that they don’t take long to make, and you are the arbiter of the quantities of addiatives.
Added to which most of them cost little to buy, combine and cook.
Pictures; The Golden Egg menu, Andy Robertson, 1966, and stuff I cook and eat, 2026, from the collection of Andrew Simpson
![]() |
| Avocado and potato mash, peas cucumber, sliced tomato and peas, 2026 |
*Food History, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/search/label/Food%20History
**Stories from a Greek table and that food advice, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/2026/07/stories-from-greek-table-and-that-food.html





No comments:
Post a Comment