Thursday 14 June 2012

"Went the day well?"


Well if the sun didn’t actually shine at least the rain held off for most of our walk down Beech Road.

The idea was to describe something of what it might have been like to be on Beech Road in the summer of 1848 and more importantly who you might have to be polite to.

Now I am not so good at estimating numbers, but Bernard reckons that there were about thirty of us which given that it was mid week and threatened to pour down was pretty good.

I am too modest to make a comment on how the talk went down but I enjoyed myself and we ended in the Horse and Jockey which gave me the opportunity to ramble on about the pub and beer houses.
So a good night and a nice mix of people drawn from the History Group, the Co-op and lots of new friends including Philip and Martine’s son and friend and David who once lived here, has supplied me with some wonderful tales and came all the way from Rochdale.

Now I didn't take my camera but I know someone who did and here is one of Peter Topping's pictures which perfectly captures the evening and is in stark contrast to that Saturday three years ago when we did the walk and talk in bright sunshine.  I'm now waiting for all the rest who snapped away to share the night with us.  Alternatively you can see more at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChorltonHistory/271605182947476/?comment_id=271605782947416&notif_t=group_comment

Pictures; one I did earlier from the collection of Bernard Leech and last night in the set from Peter Topping

No comments:

Post a Comment