Saturday 31 May 2014

Who now remembers the Cavendish Hotel?

The building today
There are few old buildings left along  most of Stretford Road from Cavenshish Street, but Andy found some.

In his relentless crusade to photograph our late 19th and 20th century history he recently wandered into Hulme and took this picture of the Cavendish Hotel.

It is now student accommodation but for a big chunk of the last century it was a pub.

It was photographed in 1958 by H W Beaumont and again twelve years later by which time it had been pained all white matching the smaller Cavendish Arms which was directly opposite.

Now try as I may I cannot find any history of either of them during early decades of the last century.

Both are missing from the 1911 street directory and neither area on the OS for 1934 so both appear to be much later than I thought which rather gives them a short life.

The Cavendish Hotel in 1958
I guess the Cavendish Hotel was doomed once the house clearance began in the area.

It will still have been serving pints during my early years in Manchester but I never ventured down Cavendish Street being content to inhabit the All Saints area offering up as it did the attractions of the Eight Day, Johnny Roadhouse and the old Student Union Bar in what once had been the Till & Kennedy shop.

And that pretty much is it, less a story and more a vehicle to show case one of Andy’s pictures along with two from the archive.

Now I bet there will be people who did go in there and may have a story.
I hope so.



The Cavendish Hotel in 1970
Pictures, the Cavendish Hotel today from the collection of Andy Robertson, and in 1958 by H W Beaumont, m26897, and in 1970 taken by A Dawson, m49355, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

1 comment:

  1. I, like you, have no recollection of seeing it during my six years as a student in Manchester (1981-91 with a gap in-between). But about 5 or 6 years ago I came across a photograph on the web and so decided to seek it out on my next visit to Manchester. This I did, in December 2018, and it really is an attractive and quirky little building. According the to latest Google Maps image it now looks empty.

    ReplyDelete