Friday 3 October 2014

Always watch for what they are doing down on Aytoun Street

Now I pretty much passed this spot every day for four years and continued to do so on and off for the rest of the 70s, but I have no recollection of what was there.

Or for that matter how it went from this to what is there right now.

But that I guess is just one of those simple lessons about making sure you always track and record what comes down and what goes up.

And Aytoun Street continues to change, so I missed the demolition of the old Labour Exchange.

For years it stood empty, and then the scaffolding went up and I clocked the occasional stories about what might happen to it and then passing up London Road I noticed the hole in the ground.

I can of course like many people remember when it was still open for business, but that as like much of my Manchester is no more.

But that is it, ................ no comments on what should not have come down or the merits of what has gone up.

I'll leave that up to others.

Picture; Aytoun Street in 2007 from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment