Saturday 27 October 2012

THE STORY OF LORD SIMON OF WYTHENSHAWE'S FAMILY tonight in Didsbury


I first came across the Simon family soon after I started teaching in Wythenshawe.

It was 1973 when  I came found a speech Lady Simon had given at Oldwood Secondary school sometime in the 1958

Oldwood had opened its doors in the 1950s and became the lower school of Poundswick High School in 1967.

In that pre National Curriculum age I often wandered off the history syllabus to introduce my students to Ernest and Shena Simon, their gift of Wythenshawe Hall to the city and their unswerving work to improve the provision of social housing and education in Manchester.

More recently I discovered that Shena Simon had been a councillor here in Chorlton.

All of which means I will be a little disappointed to miss the talk by Diana Leitch on the story of Lord Simon of Wythenshawe at the Emanuel Church on Barlow Moor Road, tonight at 7 tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment