Thursday 14 November 2013

Memories of when St Mary’s Hospital in Manchester moved out to Prestbury

Earlier today  I featured the story of how St Mary’s Hospital in Manchester moved out to Prestbury.

It was written by David Eastman who had become puzzled as to why he had been born there and not at home In Manchester.

In the course of researching this mystery he came across one of those tiny little footnotes to history which now has been largely forgotten.

 “Faced with the possibility of air raids, the St Mary’s Hospital Board chose to close their City Centre maternity wards and relocate to Collar House in Prestbury.”

 The house  was owned by the Moseley family who were then living in Wales and in 1939 was rented by the hospital as an annexe. 

This was a large house with extensive grounds. It had its own water and electricity supply as well as a laundry. It was converted to hold 45 beds and had maternity wards and nurseries as well as a theatre, dispensary and accommodation for 30 staff. Nearby Prestbury Hall and Adlington Hall were also to become hospitals. St Mary’s remained at Collar House until 1952 when the maternity wards returned to the City. 

During those 13 years, more than 14000 children were born at the three Prestbury hospitals. Originally a farm, Collar House dates from before 1780 and has been occupied by a number of different families" 

And in response to that story people have been adding their own memories, some telling me they were born there and others like David realizing that a family mystery now had an explanation.

All of which is pretty pleasing and is how I like my history, shared out and on going.

Keep them coming.

*When St Mary’s Hospital in Manchester moved out to Prestbury http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/when-st-marys-hospital-in-manchester.html


Picture of Collar House, courtesy of David Eastman

5 comments:

  1. I work as a chef there in the very early 80s .the place was really run down at that time .I actually saw a ghost .a most amazing experience Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum told me I was born at the’white house’ in Prestbury in 1947 . Due to Manchester’s air raids . Then I found Collar house, which fits the Bill. Wonder if it was painted white at the time and she misremembered the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born there too in june 1949. St Mary's hospital, village branch, Prestbury it says on my birth cert. I've been back several times since then.Prestbury was a favourite sunday afternoon run-out for my grandparents. We'd look around the church and the |Norman chapel then have an ice cream! Now I live in Normandy so its a bit far for a sunday afternoon!
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born there! - 15th August 1948. My Cousin was born there 9 months earlier on 5 December 1947

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was born there on May 21st. 1952, and according to the above account I must have been one of the last babies to be born there, as it states the maternity wards returned to Manchester in 1952!

    ReplyDelete