Monday 11 November 2013

On the Rec at Beech Road during autumn and winter

Now I know these two pictures have not been taken from exactly the same spot but absolute detail has never been something I am perfect at.

Nor are they the best pictures, but on a sunny autumn day on impulse I took a few of the Rec and was reminded of a much colder day in January 2009 when I did much the same thing.*

And in my defence it is a sort of history story.

The Rec was last farmed around 1896 when it was Row Acre, both the Higginboth and Bailey families had land on this site and since it was gifted to the people of Chorlton it has been an invaluable place to play, sit and just relax.

At one time it has held public meetings, was home to a barrage balloon and has been the venue for many festivals including the Beech Road Festivals and the Peace Festival.









Picture; from the collection of Andrew Simpson, 2007 and 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment