Thursday 9 March 2023

The Woolwich I remember

I like this picture of Woolwich for lots or reasons, but not least because it is how I remember it with the buses negotiating their way past the market stalls and the crowds out looking for a bargain or just enjoying an afternoon in the square.

I have tried dating it but so far it is a pretty wide slot which starts at 1939 and runs through into the 1950s.

That said I don't think it will be later than 1960.

The key will be the bus which someone far more an expert than me will be able to identify.

I know it is an RT which were built for London Transport from 1939 onwards but they remained in service for decades.

Likewise it might be possible to date the make of the car and work out when it was registered but cars like buses have a habit of staying on the road for years which just leaves the building to our left in the main picture and the style of the clothes.

The directories will pinpoint the shop but men’s clothes remained fairly uniform from the 1930s well into the early 60s which just leaves the woman and her hat in the corner.

There is no evidence of blackout or other signs to link it to the war.
and the tram lines are missing so that I think will narrow it to the 1950s, which is just that bit more exciting given that this was the period I could have been there.*

All of that said it is quite clearly from a time well before now and what draws me to the photograph is the sheer bustle and the way the photographer  caught a moment

Pictures; Woolwich circa 1930s-50s, courtesy of Steve Bardrick.

* I just now await someone to put me right on tram routes through Woolwich.

11 comments:

  1. Tram lines and cobbles didn't come up for some years after were scrapped. The overhead cables were there for longer to run the trolley buses. My guess is mid to late 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the bus shown is definitely not a 60s type

      Delete
  2. I think it's probably the 50s.The clue for me is the building on the corner of the High Pavement. The old buildings were demolished and replaced, I think, around 1959-60. This was about the same time as new shops (which housed Sydney Ross toy shop and a couple of shoe shops) were built on the opposite side of Powis Street. The corner building in its new version was for many years a butchers shop,beyond that Mence Smith later Timothy Whites

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks tricktd and Don't Bump Me Off

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not an RT, probably an LT and they were all gone before the 60s, I certainly don't remember them. I'd put the photo as early to mid 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the bus is an 'LT' type, in fact, the lack of a canopy above the driver's cab identifies this as one of the "Bluebird" variants of which a fair few were operated from Plumstead garage. They were withdrawn from service on 7 April 1951 and replaced with Leyland RTL type buses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should perhaps mention that LT type buses were withdrawn from route 53a (as in your photo) on 2 May 1950. (7/4/51 is the date that the last ones were withdrawn from service in London!).

      I shouldn't imagine your photo would have been taken much earlier than 2/5/50.

      Delete
  6. I was born in 1952 and the photo has a 'just before my time' look to it, so I'd say late 1940s or very early 1950s

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Wisk detergent which is advertised on the bus was founded in 1956.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had this photo down in the 40s from research also. Same photo on here: https://youtu.be/MMyqo3f0WD0

    ReplyDelete