Saturday 4 March 2023

Down at Eltham Palace in the summer of 1958

Now I am back at Eltham Palace, a place that first captured my imagination back in 1964 and continues to do so.*

This is the cover to the 1958 Ministry of Works Official Guide-book price One Shilling.

It runs to just 14 pages with four photographs and a map, and of course is a little bit of history in its own right.

When I first wandered around the Hall I don’t think what I saw would have been so different from what the guidebook described.

Now fifty-eight years on I am not so sure.  It has been a long time since I have been there and the Army Education Institute have long gone.

So for no particular reason other than I have the book, here are some of the pictures from that guide and the fun will be deciding if anything you see has changed.

Great Hall from the south, 1958

I can still remember standing under that great timber roof in the hall.

Since then I have come across pictures of the hall from the 18th century when it was used for cattle.

And read about the painstaking work of restoration undertaken in the 1930s.

So I know that next time I am back in Eltham I shall make every attempt to visit the Palace although even here times have moved on.

Roof of the Great Hall, 1958
Back in 1958 the Great Hall was open only on Thursdays ans Sundays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. during May to October, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. from November to April and admission was free.

Today it will cost you £10.20 if you an adult, £6.10 if you are under 15 but it will be open Sunday to Thursday 10 till 5 in the afternoon.

Pictures; from Eltham Palace, Kent, Ministry of Works, 1958




No comments:

Post a Comment