Monday 11 August 2014

Chorlton’s corner shops nu 6

From Mauldeth Road West, 2014
“I'm loving your features on corner shops! I'm wondering if you have anything, or could do one about Mr Walsh's shop that used to be next to the Southern Fryery near the old Southern pub, did you know it?  

I grew up on the Weller Ave estate so I remember all those shops I have really fond memories of him and the shop.” 

Well when Brian sent me this request I was off on the search.

From Nell Lane, 1940 woth our corner shop just out of view to the right
Now I have to confess of knowing almost nothing about the shop.

It will have been built in the 1920s when the Corporation was laying out the estate and was pretty much knocked about when two high explosive bombs fell during the last war.

The first landed in the centre of the junction of Mauldeth Road West and Nell Lane and the second just behind the shops in the small alley that runs off Nell Lane between those shops and the first of the semi detached properties.

And as you would expect the Southern did not escape some damage to the front of the pub.

All of that said I have yet to turn up a picture from the earlier period so I guess it is over to all those who remember the shop, went there or passed it on the bus to send in some memories.

Picture, the corner of Mauldeth Road and Nell Lane today courtesy of Brian Lee Whitworth and bomb damage at Nell Lane, 1940, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, m09736, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

No comments:

Post a Comment