Tuesday 7 July 2015

Rambles From the London Tube ............... a blog well worth reading

Now here is a blog well worth exploring which will take you across London and out into the open spaces beyond.*

I came across it by accident when its author replied to a story about Eltham I posted today.

Rambles From the London Tube is one of those fascinating blogs which keeps you going from one destination to another, and has so far seen me through three espressos and a missed breakfast, not to say an important piece of research, deferred while I followed Di across London.

For me of course it’s got to be the posts on South East London using the Docklands Light Railway and especially the South London Walks and the Isle of Dogs.

There is here a wonderful mix of history pictures and walks, all the more compelling for a lad who left Eltham in 1969 for the North, only return on family visits.

As such I have never been on the Docklands Railway which our Elizabeth says has reached Woolwich and can only wonder at how the Isle of Dogs has been transformed.

I shall I fear be missing more deadlines today but perhaps will ration myself to a trip a day, before wandering off again for stories from the North, and while I no longer subscribe to Johnson's line that "When a man is tired of London he is tired of life," ** Rambles from the London Tube helps you see what he might have meant.

Picture; heading picture from Rambles From the London Tube I hope with permission

*Rambles From the London Tube, http://www.londontuberambles.co.uk/

**"When a man is tired of London he is tired of life, For there is in London all that life can afford," Septemeber 20,1777, quoted by James Boswell in The Life of Samuel Johnson LL.D. Vol 3


No comments:

Post a Comment