Saturday 27 January 2018

Another adventure peeling back the past on Baptist Street

Now I know I must get out more, because if I did I wouldn’t have missed the Baptist Street Dig.

The dig
Andy Robertson was down there yesterday and sent over some fine pictures of what is being uncovered.

The area is bounded by Baptist Street Rochdale Road, Sharp Street and Ludgate Hill.

The streets were laid out by the early 1790s but building was restricted to chapel, all of which began to change during the early 19th century and by 1849 there were fourteen houses on the site some of which were back to back properties and one closed court called Dakin’s Court.

So I think the buildings in Andy’s pictures will be those houses.

And tomorrow I will go looking for the census returns to see who lived there.

Location; Baptist Street

Pictures; the Baptist Street Dig, 2018, from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment