Tuesday 30 January 2018

The story of Urmston, Flixton and Davyhulme ....... coming soon

Now I am very pleased that my old friend Michael Billington’s book will soon be published.

It is the Story of Urmston, Flixton and Davyhulme and having had a preview of the draft manuscript I am looking forward to the finished book.*

Michael’s book draws on his own extensive knowledge of the area where he grew up, is supported by meticulous research and is full of fascinating photographs.

I sneaked a preview of the cover which he tells me, “the photos were carefully chosen. 
As Flixton was the main township until the 1870s I have given the Flixton church prominence. 
St Clement's in Urmston is the small photo on the right as the vicar and churchwarden have been incredibly helpful and supportive. 

The house on the left is Link House which became Simpson's Ready foods (Willy Simpson plays in a band with me) and the middle one is the opening of Davyhulme Circle with Ernest Leeming behind the little girl presenting the flowers. The lady in the white dress at the foot of the cenotaph is my maternal; grandmother”.

And the rest as they say will be revealed when the book hits the book shops later in the year.

* The story of Urmston, Flixton and Davyhulme, Michael Billington, 2018, the History Press


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Andrew and many thanks for your help and encouragement with this, my first published opus. See you at the launch hopefully.

    ReplyDelete