Monday 4 April 2022

Snaps of Chorlton No 5, a lost railway scene


An occasional series featuring private and personal photographs of Chorlton.

I think we are sometime in the 1980s and we are looking  towards the Wilbraham Road bridge, beyond which was the station and off to our right Adastral House.  

Now someone out there will be much better informed than I about the loco and what it is pulling.  

My knowledge stops at being able to say it is a British Rail locomotive, when we still had a nationalized railway company.

Originally I thought it might be the 1960s but those in the know have helped me push the date forward.

Location; Chorlton

Picture; from the Lloyd Collection 

2 comments:

  1. I have, if I remember rightly, a photo of the station somewhere on the computer. I must look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The loco is a Class 47 which would have been built between 1962 and 1968 - they were a successful design and fairly ubiquitous for the next 30 years, a few of them are still around today. The blue colour was brought in from 1965 onwards, and remained standard until the early 80s. It was after about 1986 that locos started being repainted in various colours.

    ReplyDelete