Saturday 18 June 2022

A paddling pool, bowling green and street scenes ……… Chorlton in the 1960s

Now I am never over keen on picture postcards which display a collection of photographs.

The effort of displaying four or more means that the images are small and with that comes a loss of detail.

That said I like this one which Ken from St Clements gave me recently.

It will date from the late 1950s into the following decade, and while somethings are familiar, others point to a Chorlton we have lost.

Location, Chorlton

Picture; Chorlton Park, Barlow Moor Road, Wilbraham Road, circa late 1950s -1960s, from the collection of Ken

6 comments:

  1. I used the paddling pool in the late 50s and early 60s I also sailed some home made boats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible to get a copy of the paddling pool postcard? I think me & my mum are in it, but I can’t really make us out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember all these places cut my foot open in Charlton swimming pool both sisters m😔arried at clemence a under varander Barlow moor road time gone by

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pool was often closed due to broken glass. If that middle photo on the card had been taken in the late 1960s I would have sworn that the boy paddling on the right was me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew would you kindly send me a copy of the postcard too. I'll send my email address. I grew up in Chorlton in the 1950/60's I had a fabulous childhood

    ReplyDelete