Thursday 3 January 2019

In search of the lost Chorlton artist … J Montgomery

Now, if you dig into Chorlton’s history, at some point you come across J Montgomery, who for two decades painted Chorlton.

Chorlton Ice Skating rink and Picturedrome, 1964 from a picture circa 1915
I first came across his work in the Local History Collection, where there is a huge collection of his work.

Most were painted from old photographs and record a Chorlton which was lost a long time ago.

In some cases, we do not have the original picture and so Mr. Montgomery’s paintings are the only evidence for old buildings and agricultural landscapes, which were once familiar.

Of the hundreds I have come across, one of my favorites in the old ice rink and Picturedrome which stood on the corner of Oswald and Longford roads.

Chapel on Albany Road, 1960
And until I came across his painting, I had no idea of its existence.

But despite all of these paintings, no one knew anything about him and all my attempts to piece together his story came to nothing.

All of which is remarkable given that his last painting was in 1968 and he must have been local, leading me to assume someone would remember him.

Despite appeals over the years on the blog and in talks and walks around Chorlton I could find nothing, and even the library which holds the digital collection could offer nothing about the man, leaving just one reference in Trafford local study Centre in a catalogue listing local artists.

It is one of those mysteries which has intrigued both me and my old friend Andy Robertson, and after a recent conversation Andy decided to go looking all over again.

Sally's Pond, 1958
This time he struck gold, commenting that “the John Montgomery I found died in 1970, and the last dated work of his on images was 1968, so that fits.

In 1966 his daughter's death in the Wills Index lists his occupation as commercial clerk. My guess is this our man”.

He was born in 1902 and his buried in Southern Cemetery with other family members and in 1939 was living on Brookbank Road

But here there is a hitch, because there is appears a mismatch between some of the names in the family grave and those on the 1939 register, so while it would appear Mr. Montgomery and his daughter, Laura are together, the names of the other two women do not conform to the person assumed to be his wife in 1939.

Lilly's Cottage, 1948
Of course that “hitch” is what fascinates both me and Andy, and I have no doubt with more digging the matter will be resolved as will the mismatch between the occupation given by his daughter which was "clerk" and that in 1939 which was “Property repairer and window cleaner”.

But then this was 1939, just a decade after the Wall Street Crash and eight since the Great Depression threw thousands out of work across the city.

So, a work in progress.

*Research by Andy Robertson

Location; Chorlton

Pictures; “Chorlton Skating Rink, later The Picturedrome”, 1964, m80132, Chapel on Albany Road, from a 1950 photograph,1960, m80123, Sally’s pond, 1958, copied from a 1922, photograph, m80104
Lilly Cottage from a 1948 photograph, Montgomery J 1952 m80050, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, https://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

6 comments:

  1. I love a good mystery, and look forward to you solving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when he died my grandmother donated his paintings to Central library. They lived on Brookburn Road formerly Brook Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel, daft question perhaps, but what his his name would love to go and look at them.

      Delete
    2. Hi Andrew - there is no headstone. His wife was cremated in Blackley and did not have a headstone either. He was writing a book about Chorlton for many years but I do not know what happened to that. I remember a very large pile of half used oil paints and drawers full of paints!

      Delete
  3. There is no headstone. He had 2 daughters and a son. Laura died in her 30s. Son Jack lived in Canada and died 2017. My mum the remaining child died 2018. I was very surprised to come across you today and pleased to hear he has in some way contributed to the history of Chorlton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel I have been searching for information about him for a decade .... thank you. Is there more?

      Delete