Friday 18 January 2019

Spreading the story of British Home Children …….. Badge of the week no. 6

Now, the lapel badge worn as a campaign statement has a long history.

And before the badge there were silk colours, and before those were used, there was the simple sprig of a plant.

What they all had in common was that they symbolized an idea or a political party.

In my time I have worn plenty, to the point where today I shy away from wearing any.

Instead I write about them, preferring to feature ones from my collection or focusing on a badge of significance.

But I am going to make an exception to the badge wearing rule and display this one which arrived from Canada today.

I say this one, but in fact I received two.

Both promote the story of British Home Children and differ only in that the second carries a reminder that 2019 marks the 150th anniversary of the first group of young people migrated to Canada from Britain.

It is still a story which is not well known, especially here in Britain, and most of those involved with BHC came to it because a member of the family was migrated.

This is changing, and it is now possible to read books on the subject, watch documentaries and join self-help groups.

That said, almost all the books published on the topic come from Canada, with just one produced in the UK.

But it is not all gloom, and there is a growing academic interest in the subject on both sides of the Atlantic, with exhibitions currently in the planning stage in various British cities.

Already one British children’s charity, The Together Trust, which began in the twin cities of Manchester and Salford, has staged several events including a stage production using school students which told the story of BHC. *

The same charity will be publishing a new book on their work to coincide with their 150th anniversary next year.

So, there is a lot going on, but there remains much more to do.

Many people who have BHC ancestors need help with their research, and indeed there needs to be much more “historical digging” to get a balanced picture of why young people were migrated and its impact on those who went and those who stayed.

In Canada there are several of which British Home Children Advocacy and Research Association, remains the most extensive, and it is from them that the badges can be purchased.**

In Britain there two groups, both of which aim to share information raise awareness of BHC.***

And that brings me back t the badge which is smart, eye catching and above all is guaranteed to start a conversation.

Pictures; BHC badges available from British Home Children Advocacy and Research Association


*The Together Trust, https://www.togethertrust.org.uk/

**British Home Children Advocacy and Research Association, http://www.britishhomechildren.com/

**** British Home Children …… the story from Britain, www.facebook.com/groups/bhchildren &
Reclaim Our British Children, www.facebook.com/groups/283545170795/

2 comments:

  1. I have two Nephews who are Canadians.Their Mother is Canadian born and bred and their Father my Brother English now deceased.Iam in touch with my nephews and their Mother where can
    I buy the Badges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two Nephews are Canadian.My Brother their Father their Mother Canadian born and bred.My Brother is deceased.I an still in touch with my Nephews and their Mother.Though the oceans separate us we are Family.Love Them.

    ReplyDelete