Tuesday 14 June 2022

Down in Deal ………… with a camera …… a sky line and some boats

Now, my guide book tells me that “Deal is a town in Kent, which lies on the border of the North Sea and the English Channel, eight miles north-east of Dover and eight miles south of Ramsgate”. *

I also know that “it is a former fishing, mining and garrison town. 

Close to Deal is Walmer, a possible location for Julius Caesar's first arrival in Britain.

Deal became a 'limb port' of the Cinque Ports in 1278 and grew into the busiest port in England; today it is a seaside resort, its quaint streets and houses are a reminder of its history along with many ancient buildings and monuments.


In 1968, Middle Street was the first Conservation Area in Kent. 

The coast of France is approximately twenty-five miles from the town and is visible on clear days. 

The Tudor Deal Castle, commissioned by King Henry VIII, has a rose floor plan”.

And that is enough for me.

Despite growing up just over an hour away, I only visited the place recently and in the short time we were there never did the place justice.

Which just leaves me these three photographs from our Elizabeth and Colin.

I could go on about the sky, the expanse of water, and the boats, but the pictures do it better.

My favourites are the one of the boats, but as a historian I had the include the castle.

Location; Deal

Pictures; Deal 2019, from the collection of Liz and Colin Fitzpatrick

*Deal Kent, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal,_Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment