Thursday 9 March 2023

Sunday night in the Lloyds ............ memories of the 1970s

Standing outside the pub in 1979
The first in a short series which looks at what Chorlton was like in the recent past.

Today Lorna remembers the Lloyds Hotel in the 1970s.

Back then the pub still retained its small more intimate set of rooms where if you wanted you could have one of those quiet evenings almost to yourselves with just the regular visit from the waiter who could be summoned from the bar by the push button on the wall.

Those of us who went in there will also remember the staircase which gave access to the upstairs and it was there on Sunday nights that Lorna remembers in this piece she wrote for the blog.

"I remember the Lloyds in the early 1970's when Bill Caroll was the landlord and ruled the pub with a "rod of iron". 


Sunday night upstairs in the top room was very popular and people went in early to make sure they got the best seats in order to listen to the variety of live singers (no karaoke then) who turned up voluntarily each week. 

Highlight of the night was waiting to see who would be 'top of the bill'. 

It was usually Bill, who was an ex policeman, or Jimmy Gale, who were both very good singers. 

Little Jimmy would get everyone in the swing by singing Mardi Gras where all would join in with great gusto. 

Good memories.

I should add that Sunday night always finished with the same two songs where everyone linked arms and sang together. First 'Strolling' followed by 'I'll See You In My Dreams'"

It would be nice to hear other stories about the Lloyds. I am trying to remember the name of the piano player. A Mr Quinn from Keppel Road used to step in now and again, but he was not the regular . Mr Quinn was piano player in the Royal Oak

Lorna has promised to go looking for pictures and they are important because all too often it is photographs of the inside of pubs which seldom survive.

And in the meantime perhaps it will spark off other memories we can share.

Location; Chorlton-cum-Hardy

Sunday in the Lloyds by Lorna Davies, 2015

Picture; the Lloyds Hotel, 1979, from the collection of Tony Walker

8 comments:

  1. I remember the waiter. We called him two tons because of the thud we made when walking.

    A tray full of Toby Light and Stones bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember singing 'Strolling' followed by 'I'll See You In My Dreams' on a Sunday night - It seemed silly and yet, at the same time good because it gave you a sense of belonging and camaraderie.

    My brother-in-law Steve Jones was one of the singers there in the 60's and 70's. His wife Linda was often with him screaming and swooning like the ever-loving fan she was. Both Steve and Linda sadly passed away several years ago and Steve's older brother passed away on 16th February this year. Steve was a decent singer - I wonder if anyone else remembers him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember singing 'Strolling' followed by 'I'll See You In My Dreams' on a Sunday night - It seemed silly and yet, at the same time good because it gave you a sense of belonging and camaraderie.

    My brother-in-law Steve Jones was one of the singers there in the 60's and 70's. His wife Linda was often with him screaming and swooning like the ever-loving fan she was. Both Steve and Linda sadly passed away several years ago and Steve's older brother passed away on 16th February this year. Steve was a decent singer - I wonder if anyone else remembers him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WAS one of the singers on a Sunday from about 1976 onwards. Along with my father Eddie Pearson who also used to occasionally finish the evening, but more often than not it was Dad, and then Jimmy Gale, handkerchief out to dab his forehead as he sang What A Wonderful World almost better than Louis Armstrong !
    Bob was an ex policeman and did the Laughing Policeman so well, and a lovely man. Little Jimmy had less timing than a broken watch but always went down a storm. Frank on the drums and John on piano were the glue that kept the show together. My family and friends always sat to the left of the stage in the corner. It was my learning curve to face the public before getting an agent and doing working mens clubs, totally frightening experience when just starting out. I’m still singing and playing guitar, and have been round the world entertaining.
    And it all started with the Lloyds ‘free and easy’ nights on a Sunday night.
    Totally magical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad used to play for the table football team at the pub

    ReplyDelete
  6. the vault had toilets in the car park also if city got beat he would open late if results went his way he was on time

    ReplyDelete
  7. My old man was head barman had a lock in onetime billy came back found my old man on table drunk dancing got his ticket for years I believe that’s what happened he told me. Dad pete murphy it had a good darts team I heard back in the 70s good and bad memories beer was good then

    ReplyDelete