Friday 14 June 2019

The art gallery and library in the sky ………..

Now I am convinced that social media is a positive thing.

I know it can be a vehicle for pictures of cats, along with much vacuous observations on politics and more than a bit of trolling, but it is also a place which offers up wonderful opportunities for people to demonstrate their artistic talents.

Over the years I have read articles, which display a wealth of historical research, and gazed on photographs which are the equal of those produced by professionals.

For most of us, the simple problem is that of getting our work out there.

Galleries do not always want to show unknown photographers, while publishing companies can be harder than Fort Knox to enter and get accepted as an author.

But out there, across facebook, twitter, Instagram and many more, are platforms which give free reign to talent.

On any one day, I can see some magnificent pictures and read stories which would otherwise rarely see the light of day.

I am a particular fan of the pictures of my friend Diane Thomas who lives in the west country and John King from London.

Equally fascinating are the posts of Alan Jennings, who writes both about his own family and his daily accounts of the work to maintain the grounds of his local church, from which come some witty, and informative stories.

I have never met any of the three, but always look forward to their postings, and in the case of Diane and John have outrageously used their images to illustrate a story.

At which point I should of course give a nod to the world of the blog, which is a treasure trove of ideas, obscure fascinations and brilliant writing.

And as you do, I will just give an acknowledgement to one of my oldest friends who has been writing since she was a teenager, runs writing schools and events, and is an inveterate blogger.

Leaving me just to reflect that here I come to praise social media, and continue to look for more pictures, stories and odd hobbies.

Location; pretty much everywhere

Pictures; Weston-super-Mare, 2019, from the collection of Diane Thomas

*Lois Elsden, https://loiselsden.com/under-construction/

2 comments: