Tuesday 7 January 2020

Just who was visiting Harrogate in 1836? ………… another ghost sign

Now Harrogate being Harrogate, and me being curious, I rather think I would have bought the Harrogate Advertiser just to see who was in town on a Saturday in the 1840s.



And given the attractions of the Georgian Theatre which was opened in 1788, and the Pump House which was built just 50 or so years later, there would have been lots of those “people of plenty”, parading the town, taking the waters, and splashing their cash.

And here I have to admit that on our visits to the place I never clocked a copy of the Harrogate Advertiser, which started up in 1836 and is still going strong.

So, it was by chance I came across a series of ghost signs on the side and front of a building which is now occupied by the Slug and Lettuce.


In the fullness of time I will go looking for the rest of the story on the newspaper, but for now that is it.

Location; Harrogate

Pictures; ghost signs, the Harrogate Advertiser, 2020, from the collection of Andrew Simpson



No comments:

Post a Comment