Wednesday 15 June 2022

Summer days in south Manchester No 3 the Chorlton Peace Festival 1984

It is an event I have visited before, but it is well worth another outing.*

It was at the height of the second Cold War when there was a growing feeling that the world was a less safe place.

Relationships between the two super powers had entered a more hostile phase. This was only in part due to the election of hard line politicians in the west and the elevation of equally conservative leaders in the Soviet Union but also to events across the world where the USA and USSR were engaged in a new round of support for proxy governments.

What made it all the more dangerous was that a new generation of nuclear weapons and their delivery systems had come on stream just as the Cold War deepened and hardened.

The US cruise missile which was being deployed in Britain and West Germany took just 15 minutes to reach its targets in the USSR while American Pershing missiles and the Russian equivalent took just 4 minutes from launch to detonation over the cities of Europe.

So there we were in the Rec on a hot day listening to music, engaged in some politics but above all just relaxing with friends and family.

And having posted the story someone left a comment who helped organise the event and reminded me that there had been a badge designed for the event, which I have, and decided to update the piece with a picture.

It was a designed by Jim De Santos.

Location; The Rec

Picture; from the collection of Tony Walker, and Andrew Simpson

*Dangerous times and peaceful protestshttps://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/2019/03/dangerous-times-and-peaceful-protests.html


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the posting Andrew I remember to event well I was involved in organising it through the Chorlton CND group. I think I've still got a festival badge somewhere which was designed by Jim De Santos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I still have mine........... I should have included it in the story infact I shall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Jim De Santis the designer of the badge! We also had T shirts made for the event as I recall. The weather on the day was splendid and I think the resulting turnout amazed us all. Would be happy to hear from others who were involved. James.desantis55@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete