Tuesday 28 February 2023

South east London and the pictures that mean the most

Now I am wondering just which scene means most to those of us who were born and grew up in south east London.

I fully accept that is a bit of a tall order given the size of south east London and if like me you have moved around a bit.

Added to which bits will have changed almost out of recognition so having been born in the first half of the last century the landscape of Woolwich and Peckham baffle me when I return.

But if I had to choose it might well be the Pleasaunce or the woods in Well Hall where I was most happiest, the ferry with its connection to the Thames or when the train pulls over the river towards Waterloo Railway Station and I know I am home.

The idea of a personal picture was sparked off recently when our Jill took a series of photographs of Greenwich Park, and like many who looked at them I was instantly transported back to magical times long ago.

Mine include playing in the park, taking a new girlfriend for a walk down into Greenwich, and that time in the autumn of 1970 when I showed the place off to a group of friends from Manchester.

Nothing will quite top that day.  The sun was still warm and set off the leaves which were turning from gold to brown but there was that slight chill which you can get in early October.

And it is of early mornings that I shall finish, because Jill took the pictures soon after the sun had risen, when the light is sharp and enhances the features of landscape.

So that is it.

Location; Greenwich

Pictures; Greenwich Park, July 2107, from the collection of Jillian Goldsmith

7 comments:

  1. I have lovely memories of the pleasance gardens with my mum and aunties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live almost on the door step of the Pleasaunce. It is such a tranquil place and in spring/summer it's calming to walk around ans sit awhile to contemplate and enjoy the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The River Thames at Greenwich standing outside the Naval College and watching the cargo ships going up to Surrey Docks on the flood tide. Never happen ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mention of the park always puts me in mind of 'The Secret Agent' by Joseph Conrad, which was required reading at school but remains evocative and atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening to the sounds of the river with a pint early evening in the summer at the Cutty Sark in Greenwich with school friends in the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, although for me it was almost 2 decades earlier, Edward

      Delete
  6. Definitely the plesaunce for me at well hall , the little pond with stepping stones over it the most feeding the ducks and the fountain ..we didn't need swings and slides ..

    ReplyDelete