Friday 12 April 2024

Standing outside Charing Cross Railway Station in 1904 .......the one with the hotel

 This is one of those places instantly recognizable to anyone who lives south of the river.


And despite the fact that the image and the picture postcard were made at the beginning of the last century there is much that is still the same.

Of course, I am well aware that on the platform side there has been a huge transformation, but as I have never seen the new Embankment Place which sits above the platforms, and my memories of walking through the redesigned concourse are vague, I cannot comment.

But as an old duffer, I was saddened to read that most of the 1906 iron and glass roof above the platforms has gone, but looking at pictures of the concourse it seems cleaner than I remember it.

And it is nice to see the large clock beside the exit is still there, leaving me to hope someone will post pictures of the station as it is today.


The station dates from 1864, and the hotel from a year later.  

At its opening the hotel had 250 rooms spread out over 7 floors, and was so popular that an extension with 90 rooms was a added thirteen years later.

It is a place I have never visited, and a bit of me wishes I had.

The postcard was marketed by Tuck and Sons, with the note that it was from their Christmas and New Year catalogue of 1904/05 under the series titles of London Town and City and London View.

And yes I am well aware that many railway stations had a hotel.

Location; London

Picture; Charing Cross Railway Station, circa 1905, marketed by Tuck and Sons,, courtesy of Tuck DB, https://tuckdbpostcards.org/about



No comments:

Post a Comment