Tuesday 11 May 2021

The history of the ironing board ……. and heaps more

 Now, someone somewhere will have written the definitive book on the history of the ironing board, and what a riveting read I bet it is.

A French ironing board and view, 2021

And in time I will go looking for it, but for now I will just confine myself to the new series “Ironing with a view”, or perhaps "Have ironing board will iron", which I know lacks something, but is a nod to that popular TV western, “Have Gun will Travel”

The series was based on the adventures of a man calling himself "Paladin", played by Richard Boone who took  his name from a knight in Charlemagne's court. It aired in 1957 and ran till 1963.

But as this has nothing to do with ironing boards I will move on.

The new series invites people to send in their picture of an ironing board.

This one comes from my friend Ann who lived in Chorlton, but swapped the view looking out over Barlow Moor Road, for a more rural one in France.

She wrote “I sent this image an hour or so ago, and it has disappeared into the ether!

Anyway, view through a window with an ironing board

Have also a small collection of locally made bricks. At the moment they are resting under two large plants, so will photo them when I can persuade Howard to move them!”

A Chorlton ironing board and view

Ann’s picture followed on from one I posted in a story that went out today.*

Which just leaves me to reiterate the appeal for more pictures of  ironing boards, and hope the bricks arrive soon.

Location; France

Pictures; “Ironing with a view”, 2021, France from the collection of Ann Love and another from Chorlton, 2021, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*One hundred years of one house in Chorlton …. part 120 ....... ironing with a view https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/2021/05/one-hundred-years-of-one-house-in.html


1 comment:

  1. If I had such a view I'd probably spend more time ironing. Liked the mention of HGWT as it's always been my favourite Western TV show, have all 6 seasons on dvd.

    ReplyDelete