Wednesday 26 May 2021

Railway stations I have known ...... no. 1 the Gare du Nord

Now I collect railways stations like others collect bus numbers, although that said I have less in the collection than I would like and quite a few date back decades.

The Gare du Nord was the first railway station outside Britain that I visited, unless you count the one at Calais which we used to catch the Paris train.

I have no real memory of the Gare du Nord, except the night we ended up at a restaurant almost opposite.

The food was good, but like all areas beside a mainline railway station the surrounding streets were down at heal and there was an edgy atmosphere.

The station opened in 1861 and is apparently the busiest railway station in Europe and the 24th busiest in the world.

And that is about all I am going to say on the subject.

Location; Paris

Picture; The Gare du Nord, 1980 from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment