Monday 5 December 2016

Cygnus House, a building site and the ever changing landscape of Woden Street ..... nu 1 the plan

Now I am the first to admit that I have never been down Woden Street but there will be lots who have.

So for them and the many more who remember Cygnus House here is a series of pictures taken by Andy yesterday recording the start of something new.

Cygnus House was that long metallic building that ran along the side of Woden Street and had its own web site which categorised the structure as “building mysterious.”

There were a few theories as to what went on in there and I bet someone in the know will add a comment to the story explaining in detail its purpose.

I discovered it by chance looking back at old pictures of the street.

I don’t know when it was built but I can tell you it disappeared between 2008 and 2011 and leave it up to the expert to come up with more.

For now I will return to Andy’s pictures and his new project.

Many will know that he sets out to record the history of a site from its abandonment, slow dereliction and final demolition to the turning of the ground on a new build and then over the months the stages which finally lead a new block of flats or set of offices.

So watch this space.

Location; Salford







Pictures; Woden Street December 2016 from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment