Wednesday 14 December 2016

Looking for the story of Brookfield House on the edge of Chorlton Park

Brookfield House, 2014
Now over the last few months I have been reflecting on the fate of Hough End Hall and its future.

And occasionally I have also written about Brookfield house which stood directly opposite.

It stands on the edge of Chorlton Park.

Now I can’t be sure of when it was built, but there are buildings on this site as early as 1750.

Brookfield House, circa 1913
That said I suspect this one dates from the early 19th century.

In the 1840s it was the home of an accountant and later the doctor James Partington.

Strictly speaking it was actually in the township of Withington as was Hough End Hall.

I am not sure when it passed into the ownership of the Corporation but I guess it will have been in the late 1920s when Chorlton Park was finished.

Brookfield House today
It is somewhere I have tried to get into but with no success, although I am reliably told that there is nothing left inside of the original building.

The Corporation seemed vague about its history and I was surprised that part of it is still in residential use and perhaps at some time in the future I may be able to find out more.

Pictures; Brookfield House, circa 1913 from the Lloyd Collection, and the building today from the collection of Andrew Simpson

3 comments:

  1. My mum used to live in that house when she was a little girl. Her dad was the park gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum used to live in that house when she was a little girl. Her dad was the park gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum used to live in that house when she was a little girl. Her dad was the park gardener.

    ReplyDelete