Wednesday 8 January 2014

The Peveril of the Peak is one of those gems it is easy to miss

The Peveril of the Peak, © 2013 Peter Topping
The Peveril of the Peak is one of those gems it is easy to miss.

And I have to say it is one I only went in recently.  I have passed it loads of times but for all sorts of reasons never actually went inside, which is my loss.

The last time I was there was a week day afternoon and to my surprise last orders were called just before 3, which is pretty much a novelty these days.

But that is in keeping with a place which looks like a traditional old fashioned pub.

Inside the place is still divided into small rooms many retaining the old bell pushes, tiles and other original features.

Now I say original features but I suspect most are late 19th century while the pub was certainly serving beer as the Peveril of the Peak in 1841 when the landlady was an Elizabeth Johnson.

I would like to know more of Mrs Johnson but the records are not very helpful.  There were a lot of Elizabeth Johnson’s in Manchester in 1841 but our candidate may have been a 45 year old widow living with her three sons and a servant.

She is down as running the pub in the January of ’41 but seems to have moved on by the June, and a decade later the place is run by someone else.

As for the magnificent exterior tiles, these were added sometime at the beginning of the 20th century by the Manchester Brewery Company which did the same to the Sawyers Arms on Deansgate and the Turks Head.

Painting; Peveril of the Peak,  © 2013 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures,
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

Facebook:  Paintings from Pictureswho painted the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment