Sunday 26 January 2014

Scruffy old tin

Today my friend Andy has kindly posted one of his own stories.

That scruffy old tin
I first met Andy on one of the history walks and since then he has provided me with some fascinating pictures, newspaper clippings and now a story.

This is my sort of history, it starts with an old toffee tin and wanders through a family story.

My daughter got me this scruffy old tin for Christmas, and you know what, it is one of the best presents I've ever had.

Almost up there with the Raleigh Roadster bike I got when I was 13.  

Below is a picture of my great grandfather Frederick Robertson (1851-1930) on his wedding day in 1871.

He was one of William Robertson's (1802-1875) thirteen children. William was a confectioner and Fred was the only one of seven surviving children not to have food  based careers.  [picture of Fred]

Fred
Fred established his own building firm in 1870 and it was still going strong one hundred years later.

My father and grandfather both worked for the firm and I worked there for two weeks in 1970.

My Dad would often talk of the long wooden ladders they used that would bow in the middle.

If the ladder wasn't long enough they would carry a smaller ladder up and lash it to the longer one.

Most of the houses they would be working on would be three or four stories.

My Dad who wasn't bad up a ladder himself reckons his Dad was fearless. My Grandad could also paint all day and not get a drop on his hands or clothes.




This picture shows four generations. My great great grandmother Amelia Thurston Stanley (1845) is holding baby Patrick Maslin.

The chap with the beard is Fred with his daughter Grace(1891) mother of Patrick (1916). Patrick was a master carpenter for F.Robertson (Chelsea) Ltd.

Amelia was the mother of Fred's second wife Caroline (1871).

Apparently Caroline was a classmate of Fred's eldest daughter Kate Anna. After the premature death of Caroline in 1914 family rumour has it that Fred “shacked-up” with Amelia.

Fred's brother Walter (1847) took over the confectionery business from his father and seems to have taken it to another level.

By about 1910 the business relocated from Chelsea to Brentford. By this time his Walter's son William Arthur (1877) was a partner and managing the business. Amongst other things they made toffees which were sent to the troops for the war effort.

An article by local historian F.G.Ferebee, local historian, “..on the other side of Paradise Walk was the Walter Robertson factory for jams, jellies, sweets, cakes etc. He was the first one to make table jellies, candied peel, swiss rolls and other things”. 

Chelsea Table Jellies were well renowned in their day and in one article Walter Robertson is described as inventor and patentee. In 1891 his jellies were scientifically analysed, “...may I inform you that I have tried other makes of jellies, but there are none equal to yours in excellence of quality. I have mentioned this frequently to Mr. Seymour Mead and to my friends...”

Among the flavours on offer were lemon, orange, vanilla, calves' foot, noyeau, raspberry, punch and madeira.

In 1915 William Arthur Robertson married, at the age of 38, Dora Bland  and they had three children in quick succession.

I did wonder who that man was on that scruffy old toffee tin. It's not a King, not a Prime Minister.

Could it be William Arthur? Does he look 38?

The tin could well be 1915 and a commemorative of William and Dora's wedding.

There are bells on either side of the tin.

I am going to believe that until someone tells me otherwise.

© Andrew Robertson

Pictures; from the collection of Andy Roberston

4 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew,
    Walter Robertson was a brother of Thomas Robertson, He was my Grandfather, always keen to find any family connection, are you still in contact with Andy Robertson, he must be related to myself. I am located in
    Hertfordshire, so we have not moved far from Chelsea.

    Any help would be appreciated,
    Yours sincerely Thomas Gilby.
    Tel.01920 461345

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas have passed on your details to Andy, but haven't made them public

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I wondered if you had any more details about the reference from the article by local historian F.G.Ferebee? I'm doing my PhD on this area in the later part of the 19th century and this detail would be really helpful. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete