Friday 17 January 2014

On the 53 from Cheetham Hill to Old Trafford

Now here is something that will bring back fond memories and if we are lucky a whole host of fascinating stories.

There will be many of us who remember the old 53 that crossed the city from Cheetham Hill to Old Trafford.

I remember catching it once on the Old Road and discovering parts of the city I didn’t know existed.

Of course for lots of people it was the bus you had to catch to get to work in Trafford Park.

It dates from the early 1940s and I don’t suppose the fares had changed that much when I innocently caught it for destinations I had yet to discover.

And before the bus the route was done by tram.

So there you have it, a little bit of our history contained in a set of bus fares.

Picture; from the collection of Graham Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment