Sunday 1 August 2021

At that big blue store

I wondered how long it would be before the IKEA building made its way into the Tamseide Image Collection.

After all it is not that old and hardly compares with some of the more majestic buildings that are dotted around the district.

But it is there in the collection, which I suppose is as it should be.

It is big, dominates the spot and provides work and a place to go for quite a few local residents.

Do I like it?  Well I am not sure.  It is a bold statement of modern retail practice and does fulfil a role.

Like many people we have wandered its floors, come away with the flat pack stuff along with those odd little kitchen things and spent hours pondering on the easy to assemble instruction sheets.

But do I like it as building?

No I don’t think I do.  It has function and simplicity added to which you get a fair view of the hills from the top car park but it is all too big and brash for me.

That said Peter’s painting gives a sense of its size and purpose.

And I doubt that I am one to pass informed judgments given I was always impressed by the old bus station.

 Painting; IKEA, Ashton-Under-Lyne © 2015 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures,
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk
Facebook:  Paintings from Pictures

2 comments:

  1. Loved the bus station.... hate the IKEA building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and it's a proficient painting - but does it justify a painting? Paintings of characterless modern objects as the IKEA building have no greater impact than photos of the same.

    ReplyDelete