Monday 16 August 2021

Home thoughts of Ashton in the 1970s ..... part 5 looking for the familiar

Now when you have been away from somewhere for a long time it takes a bit of time to readjust and fit your memories to the changed landscape.

I was fully prepared that after nearly 40 years things would be a bit different and as we came in by the tram that vague feeling was confirmed.

And it started with the bus station which was not where I remember leaving it in 1976, quickly followed by the red brick shopping centre and the tall yellowy council offices.

But then with a bit of careful thought it was more that the bus station had one of those make overs which I think have made it a bit better.


That said the Prince of Orange was pretty much as it was when we caught the 218 to Manchester.
It was not a pub we went in often but I remember a fine meal there back in the 1970s and I note that it too has had its makeover.

All of which brings me to Peter’s painting which is part of a series prompted by his recent visit.

And like most of us he fastened on pubs and cinemas, which I guess feature in the memories of most of us.

A few of those I remember well like the Pit and Nelson and the one at the top of Penny Meadow have gone, but then there is the Old Fire Station which was a fire station when I lived here, and more than a few others.

So I suspect Peter will be setting his paint box out pretty much as I finish this.

Painting; the Prince of Orange, Ashton-Under-Lyne,  © 2014 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures,
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk
Facebook:  Paintings from Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment