Friday 7 December 2018

One hundred and forty-four years remembered ……….

Now I like the idea that my 46 years as a member of the National Union of Teachers is now a commemorative window in the Manchester Mechanics Institute.

Of course, that is a bit of a bold assertion.

I am only one of thousands of teachers who can proudly claim to be a member of the Manchester Teacher’s Association which is the local branch of the NUT.

The MTA was formed in 1874 and was absorbed in to the new National Education Union in 2019.

To commemorate its 144 years, the General Secretary of the Manchester Teachers Association suggested the idea of the window which I like.

In an age when some question the role of trade unions I am proud that I am still a member of the National Union of Teachers, and before that carried an USDAW card.

And that is all I am going to say.

Location; Manchester

Picture; The MTA window, from The Manchester Teacher, www.manchesternut.com

No comments:

Post a Comment