Friday 19 August 2022

Posting a letter in Woolwich …….. a little bit of fun and a challenge

Now here is a bit of our history, and for those who will always be Woolwich not Greenwich, this will have a special place.

I am looking at one of those bits of crested porcelain, which everyone buys at some point.

 Usually they are an impulse purchase on a wet day at the seaside and after a period on the mantle piece they get consigned to the back of a cupboard, and finally to a charity shop, and on the way acquire at leas one chip.

When I was growing up they  would fascinate me, and later in my teenage years I dismissed them as tacky.

But now, as I enter my seventh decade I am drawn back to them, and in particular those produced during the Great War when the ceramic companies switched to war time themes, turning out china tanks, ambulances, and battleships, all with a coat of arms of a different city, or town.

All of which brings back to the postbox, for which I don’t have a date, but could be anytime from 1900 when the borough was created, to its demise and its merger with Greenwich.

There are still some lingering bits of the old borough around, in the form of the coat of arms, on park gates, proudly announcing our connection to the Royal Arsenal.

And that might well be the challenge for everyone, to find and post them.

But for now I have this one from the collection of David Harrop.

Location; Woolwich






Picture, ceramic crested posted box, Woolwich, date unknown, courtesy of David Harrop

No comments:

Post a Comment