Monday 15 August 2022

Postcards I wish I had sent ……… and places I have yet to visit

Now, I have always been a fan of the picture postcard.


And over the years I have trawled old collections, using the images to describe how places have changed, and as a bonus commenting on the messages on the back.

But I am also drawn to the ones produced in the second half of the last century, which were usually in colour and with the passage of time have also become a bit of history.

Most do what the caption on the back says and faithfully record a tourist spot. 

But then there are those which must even at the time have posed a challenge to the photographer to find something interesting.


And here I have to be careful, because each one that has made it into the modern collection was chosen by someone who a] liked the picture postcard or b] thought it perfectly captured the scene.

So, I apologise in advance to Linda if I appear to be a little disrespectful of the odd one from her wonderful set of picture postcards which I have in front of me.

Most are fascinating glimpses of British tourist spots with more than a few from far away places, like Thailand and Malaysia, with more from Greece and Malta.

But then there is Port William and the Pier, on a day when the only people to make an appearance were two young girls.


And like so many from the period the colour has that slight yellow tint, which is even more apparent in the one from the Hagar Qim Neolithic temples in Malta, where the photographer has managed to capture two slightly older young women.

Leaving me just to close with Scotland Where Motoring is Still a Pleasure, and reflect in the age of the mobile phone, your souvenir memory of a special day is now just a click and a text message away.

All of which makes me a tad nostalgic for Dixons and all those other picture postcard companies.

Location; Scotland, & Malta 

Pictures; from the collection of Linda Rigby




No comments:

Post a Comment