Sunday 17 March 2019

The lost 1950’s collection ....... No 4 Le Touquet

Now when I was growing up in the 1950s, we didn’t have seaside holidays, and while my friends went off to any one of a number of holiday camps I took the long trip by train to Derby to spend August with my grandparents.

I don’t say this out of any sense of loss ..... having never been to the seaside I didn’t miss it.

But I rather think that if I had been sent to Le Torquet I would have enjoyed myself.

It is a resort in northern France and has a reputation as one of those elegant holiday destinations for rich Parisians.

And that is all I have to say.

Except to say that looking at the picture in detail I would venture to say that the sun worshippers captured in the image fared better than those who chose Eastbourne for their holiday destination.

Of course I am being a tad unfair given that I have no idea when during the year the Eastbourne photograph was taken but  have to say I know which I would have preferred.

Although I could at least get the year by finding out if the Lansdown Publishing Company produced a catalogue which would allow me to match the year to the code.
We shall see.



Location; Le Touquet







Picture; Le Touquet, circa 1950 from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment