Friday 1 March 2019

Compare, contrast and have a gentle smile ........ Chorlton Precinct 40 years ago

Now I usually don’t stray into those “then and now stories”.

2019
It is not that I am sniffy about the style, it’s just not always possible to get a perfect match.

But when Andy Robertson went walking in Chorlton a few days ago and recorded what he fancied, I knew that I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to compare them with some I took 40 years ago.

I must confess I never thought that mine taken in 1979 of 1980 would ever become history, but there you are.

1979/80

1979/80
And because the Precinct might be on the cusp of change, here are some of those images, spanning the time before I had a waistline, still had hair, and drank Watney’s Red Barrell.

Back then the Precinct had a wall paper shop, and Safeway was the big supermarket in town.

The rest is for you to remember or ask your mum.

And amidst all that nostalgia there is the ongoing debate about what the Precinct should look like, the balance between small independent shops as against the big national chains and of course the onward march of the bar culture.

Location; Chorlton

Pictures; Chorlton Precinct, 2019, courtesy of Andy Robertson, and circa 1979/80 from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment