Thursday 28 February 2019

Chorlton Precinct …….. spot the difference

Now I remember those competitions in newspapers where you were invited to spot the difference in two seemingly identical pictures.

1979/80
So here are two of Chorlton precinct separated by nearly 40 years.

The first was taken by me around 1979 and the second by Andy Robertson just yesterday.

The keen “spot the difference” competitor will immediately shout that they are not taken from the same spot, but where would the fun be in that?

So, for the those who remember the Precinct in 1979, the challenge is to talk about some of the shops back then without mentioning Safeway.

2019
While all of you who were born in the following decade the task will be to name a favorite shop and why.

The Precinct does not always get a good press, but I have always liked it and still enjoys a stroll through.

If pushed I must admit that the fruit and veg shop of Tony Adams is my favourite, not least because he has been providing us with Christmas trees since 1984, and I long ago trusted him to select them and bring us two fine ones at a very decent price.

Leaving me just to say, get in quick as there are those with grand plans for a new version.

Location; Chorlton

Pictures; the Precinct in 1979/80 from the collection of Andrew Simpson and in 2019, courtesy of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment