Saturday 23 February 2019

A pint in the Racecourse Hotel at Kersal before blowing it on the 3.20

Now this is one of the stories I am going to pretty much leave at the pictures.

We are on Littleton Road, Lower Kersal and Andy Robertson had taken himself off down there yesterday.

And this is the Racecourse Hotel which “was built in 1930 to attract the race goers” and I bet there will be a fair few stories of afternoons in the place which effortlessly slid into a night time session.

It is not a pub I ever went in but I recognise the size and style which came to dominate that new wave of pub building in the 1920s and 30s.

They were big, often very impressive looking buildings and built with the motor car in mind.

So what a half century ago might have been a stables and yard now became a car park.

And often they were created in the new estates and out on the bigger roads on the edge of the countryside.

So all memories of the Racecourse Hotel would be most welcome.

Location Salford





Pictures; the Racecourse Hotel, 2016 from Andy Robertson’s Salford collection

4 comments:

  1. I only ever went there once, Christmas 1979. It was big and very busy. Then my memory fades...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to use it a lot when I was old enough waiter service press the button behind your seat. As a kid we used to play in the revolving door. The publican used to yell at us... "I know your dad!" and he usually did good hiding when dad got home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ya'll my name is Michelle and I was born in Hope Hospital and my parents ran the Racecourse Hotel from the late 50s to the late 60s
    Stan and Annie Walker, so I grew up there with my older brother Paul running around the Hotel,my dad also ran the bars on the racecourses before they were shut and the land sold to Salford Uni for students accommodation
    My dad also helped with the allotments at the back.
    The hotel had gardens and a large plot of scrubland at the back where we would play
    The formal garden had a centre piece which was a Spitfire propeller on a plinth, it was my dad's pride and joy, it was off his Spitfire, that he flew in WWII, When we moved "Someone" stole it, and sold it (we knew who it was) but anyway, he kept chickens on the scrubland and bred Canaries around by the side, grew rhubarb by the river, and every year he would invite everyone from the four streets across the way to a massive free bonfire
    Well free for the kids, the adults had to buy there own drinks, the fire engine from the local station would be parked at the side by the garage's just in case, but there was never any problem.
    There were Weddings nearly every Saturday and they hosted the Mayor's dinners more than a couple of times
    There is so much history attached to that place over many many years
    The first Disco in the whole of Manchester was in the dinning room there, many up and coming artists started out there,a lot of the Merseybeat groups, people to do with Coronation Street have connections there, Manchester United Football has connections there, my dad was friends with Sir Matt
    The list is endless, and so are my memories
    My eldest daughter and I were set to take on the licence there in 2017 but Sam Smith dosent allow music in his places, how weird is that lol
    Anyway no way could I agree not to have music, my god the place that had the very first Disco in Manchester
    Not to have Music 😳
    Rediculas
    Seems to have worked well then πŸ€”πŸ€¦‍♀️πŸ˜‚
    It's Closed πŸ™„
    And its NOT because of COVID 😷
    Are Well
    I loved my life there, good memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele I worked in kitchen with your mum I meet a lot of people in the pub your mum and dad were the best I ever work for we had some good times I remember the first time they did the disco all the ones who were wearing white you could see everything I remember you and Paul I went up to the kingfisher to see them I’m Keith Millar I’m 75 now but still remember them tell Paul I’ve been in touch when I started reading I know the walkers

      Delete