Sunday 10 February 2019

Our lost petrol pumps ....... now that's a zippy title

Now, I am back with petrol stations and petrol pumps, courtesy of Ann Love who in 1964 completed a project on the history of all thing’s petrol.

Cornbrook
And today, here are two pictures by Ann illustrating the garages.

Like her, I am not captivated by the unimaginative “box”, but I am drawn to it because it was Cornbrook, which has undergone great changes over the last few decades and continues to do so.

For what were garages, workshops, warehouses and terraced housing became empty wasteland and is now full of new development.

I will check but our garage I am sure is no more, and so joins its 1920s counterpart as a lost piece of our petrol history.

One of the few pre 1920 garages

But one that Ann has saved.

Location; everywhere














Pictures; petrol pumps and filling stations 1963-64 from the collection of Ann Love

No comments:

Post a Comment